Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sea Otter Classic Pro XCT - Max Houtzager



Sea Otter 4 years ago was my first race ever (Sport 14 and under Downhill). I’ve been every year since to compete in downhill and once in slalom, but never made the podium. Really focusing on XC this year and a little burned on the ‘reworked’ pedal fest dh course, I decided to just do the XC for the first time at my 5th Sea Otter. I was stoked Juniors only had to do one lap, making it so I’d never experience the even harder near marathon xc version of the race! I also couldn’t wait to spend another amazing couple days living, eating, and riding with the Whole Athlete Specialized Team at a sweet house in Pacific Grove.

Pro XCT #3 Sea Otter Classic
Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA
Cat 1 17-18 (28 plus 13 Cat 1 15-16's)

Teammates: Keegan Swenson, Tony Smith, Lucas Newcomb, Johnathan Kaufman, Bobby Zidek, Eliel Antilla, Sven Beer and Taylor Smith

Result: 3rd
Food Consumed Here!

I knew this race would be tough. Either from the 2nd most stacked junior field besides nationals (just missing 1 or 2 fast CO kids), or the 20 mi/ 3700 feet of climbing with no lack of steep loose fireroad pitches. We began on a half lap of the Laguna Seca Race Track roady style, mountain bikers in a peloton, no one wanting to pull. The first person to go down due to sketchy half attacks and maneuvers was right next to me. With my lack of road experience I just followed Keegan as best I could trusting that'd put me in a good position once off the track.

I was stoked as Keegan, one other and I led on the dirt. I thought the brutal pace couldn't last long but it did, and as I couldn't hold on and needed to keep it together I gave up a few positions, while Keegan did the opposite and proceeded with his usual alien-pace ahead of the field on the steep climbs ahead. I again didn't want my Fontana start, so I sacrificed riding 110% on the steep slippery climbs for a few positions, putting me somewhere around 8th. I really wanted to get on the box with my teammates again and knew I could, but at this point had no idea it would happen in the end. My bad position only proved annoying once on the first 'mildly entertaining singletrack' as the rider who ironically was slowing Taylor and I down previously referred to it. I got around him once there was room as it started climbing and tore myself apart to catch the next group. I never had it easy during the seemingly long, hot race.

Halfway through on the third steep fireroad climb (two consecutive steep pitches) I put down the most painful attack on the group of 4 (AZ Devo kids and SoCal 15-16 winner Shane) I was in, which gave me enough of a gap to pass some one-speeders ahead before the next singletrack descent. I blasted the S-turns and woops, stoked on roosting flowy sandy corners while growing my gap. Soon after tucking on the next road section, the same kids bridged up to me. Great. I barely hung on during the windy flat fireroad section back towards the venue, aware that if I got dropped I'd be done for. I managed and duked it out the entire next single track climb with them, starting to lead at the top and finally opening a gap on the final singletrack climb in the 'jungle'. But it was far from over.

I saw them on my tail for a while, and then hit the last fireroad section, discovering I was in third! Incredibly stoked, I wanted to celebrate. It was just as gratifying as ripping the singletrack descent earlier on, however I looked at my Garmin and saw over 1000 feet of climbing left. On an open fireroad with a huge cross wind. This death climb seemed to last forever and made the rest of my race a love-hate relationship, ecstatic about my place but wanting the end so badly. And afraid of getting caught by the group working together. The final singletrack into the venue felt amazing, and crossing the line seeing Keegan and Tony topped it all off.

This race was huge for me given it's my best finish in a stacked xc field yet, but what really satisfied was sweeping the podium with my teammates. Making two in a row at a Pro XCT after Fontana! Also finally podiuming at Sea Otter, after 4 years of being one place away in downhill/slalom, the first race I ever entered.




I spent all day Saturday watching the rest of the team in the Pro race, as well as cruising the pits and talking to pretty much everyone I know in the cycling world. Awesome to see so many faces and catch up for sure. I even got to meet and have a chat with Mike Sinyard of Specialized! I came home on Saturday night so that I could really get a good ride in today, and boy was it worth it. There’s nothing like a celebratory 4 hour all mountain ride on the trusty Enduro. I hit all the burliest trails and steepest climbs I know! Totally worth skipping the dh race. I wouldn’t mind doing more of these rides at all, I’d been missing all those rocks and ruts.

No comments: