Monday, April 11, 2011

Norcal HS Race #4 Laguna Seca Grand Prix - Max Houtzager



Norcal HS Race #4 Laguna Seca Grand Prix
Laguna Seca, Monterey, CA
Varsity Boys (~40)
Teammates: Bobby Zidek, Eliel Antilla, Sven Beer and Taylor Smith
Result: 2nd

I felt pretty prepared/stress free going into the race, despite no call up or any course experience. In fact, I didn't know where the start or course location was until I finished my warm up. Didn't hurt me too much though, lining up 30 minutes early (20min before the delay) so I could get an awesome 4th row spot...

The course impressed as far as Norcal goes, but still nothing to write home about (for my taste). The physical aspect was solid: 2700 feet in 17mi (Fontana was 2700 in 14mi) total. The descent offered a well built section in the beginning; solid berms and rollers made some nice flow. The rest was just fast mildly sweeping single track and fireroad, off the brakes and go (and tuck from all the wind). None of my favorite rocks, mountains, or anything you can't ride on a CX bike. A 29er hardtail course for sure.

I started in 15th and went balls out with everyone immediately grabbing 7th into the singletrack climb and 1st descent. As Bryan Duke got 1st wheel on the decent and the group started to separate 2 places in front of me, he started his gap. Passing opportunities on the course- at least on the first half- were minimal so by the time I reached the lead group of three Bryan had 40 seconds on us, in sight, but not bridgeable unless he slowed down. After my mistakes freaking out and really going for it on lap one at Fontana, I knew I had to keep it together without blowing up in hopes of a solid 2nd. I caught Taylor and Tobin Ortenblad at the end of lap 1, and continued to battle it out with them until lap 3.5 where I opened up a small gap, which slowly grew to the finish, 1 minute behind Bryan and 1 minute ahead of Tobin. From the start, to bridging up to Taylor, to staying with Taylor (dropped me on lap 2 a few times) and then riding away, the race was hard. I foresaw a top 10, then 5, and thankfully 2nd in the end. My final lap was almost equal to my first, thanks to the vision of possibly coming back from the dead to see Bryan, but no thanks to no sight of him and my ok gap on 3rd (ended up 15 seconds faster than Bryan's last lap!).

I'm stoked on my super hard effort and solid result. Can't wait for Sea Otter and then Boggs where I may get a call up and ride some more technical yet passable courses!

No comments: