Monday, April 18, 2011

Jacksonville Super D - Jordan Lopez

Here is a brief recap of my time at the Jacksonville Super D Weekend in Jacksonville Oregon. Arrived in Jacksonville Friday afternoon and was able to get one run top to bottom on last seasons super d course. But, this course had an added 3 miles of track on it and I was interested on checking it out. The new section consisted of fast dissents and tough hill climbs which would have been fun in optimum conditions…but there was snow on the course and dozens of very long/deep mud puddles that completely soaked the rider and the equipment only a mile into the ride.

Race 1 The next day, after speaking with the race promoter, it was decided that the new section would not be included in this years race. So, with this good news, all of the racers went up the hill to get in more practice runs on the final course. In the race, I went off 2nd and after the brutal hill climb and false flat (these sections determined the race) I was descending fast through the fun/fast part of the course. All of a sudden and without any warning, my front tire went flat and threw me over the bars and into a berry bush thorns and all. Lucky for me the landing was soft and all I got from it was some scratches on my legs and a few bruises. I then proceeded to get up and run next to my bike for 2.5 miles through the finish line, completing the race and finishing in 4th of 7. Note: the 2 of the 3 other racers behind me also flatted but did not finish.

Race 2 After 2 practice runs down the decomposed granite/sandy “moto trail” race course we all queue’d up and were ready to race. I went down the course and felt strong on the multiple climbs but my legs felt weak on the snappy sprints and there were a couple of times where I needed to pedal and I was not. I finished the race in 5th of 8 but only 25 seconds outside of 1st (Race Run Time – 12:20) Overall – 4th In the end, I had a great weekend and I am thankful for the opportunity to race at a event where I can see where I stand on preparation for the season and what aspects of my training I need to improve on before the All-Mountain season really kicks into high gear next month Thanks again to all of my amazing sponsors, I really do appreciate all of your support and amazing products.


No comments: