Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Santa Barbara Bicycle Festival

June 6-7th hosted the annual Santa Barbara Bicycle Festival at Elings Park. The DH course is traditionally non-technical, however the beautiful view and Kenda/US cup points, brings out racers to see how their fitness stacks up on the combined two-run format. The course this year seemed as though the starting was moved up, a few rocks were added, and maybe a new jump or two, but other than that, it is a pedal fest.

Jimmy and Alex Amaral were on form, using their short-travel bikes and confidence (Jimmy is undefeated at Elings), they attacked the course and gained valuable time over their competition. Jimmy ended up winning the Pro class, while Alex easily won Jr. Expert and still had a faster overall time than his older brother. Young grasshopper is learning.

Jordan Lopez is officially a triple-threat. Having competed in the DH, Super-D and XC over the weekend, he managed three podium finishes. Extremely impressive! Please check out his race report:

PRO DH - 3rd of 7
This was a great race which consisted of a 2 run format with a best overall time.
The course was smooth and consisted of mostly bermed turns and smooth transitions.
My first run was smooth and with a little bobble and I found myself in 2nd place. Yet my second run was not as smooth and I barely saved a large crash, my time was definitely affected with this and I ended up placing in 3rd.

PRO Super D - 5th of 9
Immediately after the podium presentation for DH, I went straight up the hill again for the Super D
Being the only DH Racer in the Pro Men's Super D, I was excited to see what I could do against a bunch of XC Racers.
The course consisted of the second half of the XC, so it was mostly smooth with a bunch of switchbacks.
I am super happy to place in the top 5 in this group and to be competitive with Pro XC racers.

CAT 1 XC - 3rd of 14
This race was brutal...24 miles, 3,200 feet of climbing and all done in 1hr 50min.
With this being my 3rd race of the weekend, my legs were feeling it and it took me till my second lap to get into a groove.
I was the 6th of 14 to the top of the first hill climb and from there I had my work cut out for me. By the end of my 3rd lap I was catching Pros and the last remnants of the Beginners Men 50+.
Did I mention that this race was brutal, but I am very happy with this finish and the continuing confirmation of my training for the upcoming Downieville All Mountain Race.






Full results can be found here.

No comments: