Thursday, May 28, 2009

Weaverville, CA "Gravity Day"

Check out Jordan Lopez and his report from last weekend's Gravity Day in beautiful Weaverville, CA:

Super D:
I am stoked to say that I was able to finish this 8 mile Super D race in second place behind my friend Matt Wittler with a time of 26:56 (30 seconds behind First Place). This race consisted of a very steep/rocky/slippery start going into a covered single track and ending in a exposed/sandy finish. It was a great race and I am very excited with this result because I feel that it is a good indicator that my training is going in the right direction for the Downieville AM

Downhill:
I am happy to say that I was able to finish this race in Fifth Place with several mistakes and coming to a complete stop in a very sandy corner. This race consisted of a "best of two run" format and because of its length (3 miles / 8:04 run) it was physically exhausting. Due to the racing schedule of the day and the shuttle pick up being 20 min away, I was not able to practice the lower section of this race course and I know that this definitely hurt my chances at a top finish. In my first run, I slid out into a long "off-camber" corner in the top section and with a few other mental mistakes I was able to pull together a semi-decent run. In my second run, I had a very clean/smooth top section and my split time was one of the fastest of the day until I rear flatted with 150 yd to go. My second run time was 9:18.

Yet, I had a great day of racing and tons of fun riding and racing on terrain that is completely different than what I normally ride on.
I now look forward to the next US CUP race at Elings Park in Santa Barbara CA, June 5th - 7th.




Thanks Jordan!

No comments: