Friday, July 29, 2011

Crankworx Enduro DH - Max Houtzager

Whistler B.C.
Junior 16-18
Result: 1st (30:26)
FOOD



Last year the Richie Rally during my pilgrimage to Whistler became my favorite race, and this year it would be replaced. The multi stage, untimed climbs/timed downhills format combined well with the amazing group of racers and unbelievable trails. This year Crankworx adopted the format utilizing Richie Schley and Brian Lopes to lay out five downhill/super d stages for the Crankworx Enduro DH.

I practiced the all the courses once, saying each stage is my favorite after each one! Some ripping fast berms and jumps and tech root sections in the bikepark, pedally flowing constantly weaving trail riding in the 'xc' labryinth of Lost Lake trails, and a fresh cut world cup dh-style trail down the Blackcomb mountain. You were begging for a downhill bike half the time and a trail bike the other half. Discovering each stage's radness with the top 10 fastest pro men (world cuppers and legends from the US, Canada, and France), I had my favorite race experience before the start!

The race started in the Whistler Bike Park, allowing use of the lifts and racing down a moderately technical (as far as bike park dh goes) pedally selection of trails 4 minutes long. I pedalled hard and felt strong, my bike felt super light, maneuverable, and quick pedaling compared to riding my big bike. I didn't hang it out too much on the tech sections but kept it clean and smooth. Stage 1 of 5 done I already had a blast doing a little dh race and then it was time to cruise to Lost Lake Park. In between you're relaxed because your not racing, stoked on the race you just did and looking forward to some more!

I loved the two stages in Lost Lake because they were technical yet trail bike appropriate and pedally, exactly what I love. For these 7 and 3 minute stages I again pedaled strong and kept it clean since any little mistakes could completely kill your flow or stop you completely. Some railing loam, rock roll ins, and flowing roots/rocks and then it was already time to hit the biggest climb to the start of stage 4 on Blackcomb. 3 races in my legs = definitely starting to tire!

This was actually my favorite stage for sure. A solid 20-30 minute grinding fireroad climb to the start of an 8 minute dh stage, with one little climby fireroad section thrown in at the last 30%. The trail seemed fresh cut nearly the whole way down, making some sweet rocky rooty loam that never let up. And only after a brief time of rock roll ins with flat weaving sections between at the top you were going straight down. With out interruption. Everyone said this was the most technical portion, and had the top pros scratching their heads for lines to ride on their all mountain race rigs. I was totally on it bombing down in control getting loose just enough. A bunch of the pro men I knew were posted on the gnarliest section cheering me on (waiting for their starts). Halfway down it became hard to keep it together as my whole body was super fatigued, but I kept on it, reminding myself to really focus. Then it was pedal as hard as possible for under a minute, and ride slalom corners through the woods and flat ski run turns for the last 25% to the finish. This was my fastest stage relative to everyone else for sure.

We found out what position our combined times put us in our respective fields before the final stage, which was the longest stage, in the bike park again, and web-casted live! I was leading, but unaware by how much. I knew my competition was stronger on the downhill bike stuff, so really wanted to make it down mechanical free (my bike was definitely too light for the more dh stages) but still fast enough to keep my lead. I gave it my all to still pedal my eyeballs out where I could and go fast yet keep it together through all the roots, rocks and corners. After only about 1/4 of the run my arms and hands were dying as I held on for dear life on the steep rock slabs and tight rooty switchbacks of the Lower Whistler Downhill trail.

I definitely wished for more pedaling to give me more of an advantage, especially since there was a lot of recovery time between stages with waiting for staging / each individual start time. It was such a cool experience and being on a live webcast is pretty sweet to! You really had to give it in every stage unaware of the times. I was stoked on how I rode, the fastest in my category in every stage but the first one, however my time did not stack up in the pro field so I definitely need to hang it out a lot more to get up there and know I can.

No comments: