Thursday, May 20, 2010

2010 Spring Thaw

Team Northstar/Giant headed up to Ashland, OR last weekend for the Spring Thaw. Check out the race report from our very own Jordan Lopez:

I know it sounds cliche; but even though I was not able to race, I had a great weekend at the 2010 Spring Thaw DH in Ashland Oregon.

My race ended within 45 seconds of it starting because I flatted my rear tire on a rock in the rock garden at the top of the course. I pushed my bike back up to the top of the course and spoke with the race organizers and asked if I could be squeezed back in. Since this is racing and each rider only gets one opportunity to compete in the event I knew that I would be receiving a DNF (Did Not Finish) for my time. I was told that I had <3 min to change my rear tire and get ready to race again. I frantically changed my rear tire, re-pumped it back up, not knowing the pressure, and ran back over to the starting booth. As I got there and got on my bike, all I heard was “4, 3, 2, 1, GO!!” I looked at the guy and said “Seriously” and he replied “YEP!” I frantically took off down the course and tried to make up for my lost time. On my 2nd run I crashed twice and finished my run in 4:32. (Note: In any race, 1 crash causes the run to be uncompetitive so after my 2nd crash I laughed and said to myself “this is falling apart”.)



When I got back from the shuttle to the top of the hill I was bummed to hear that my Teammate, Jon Wilson also crashed in his race run but finished in a time of 4:18:65. But it was great to hear that our fellow Pro teammate Lizzy English finished on the top spot of the PRO Women’s DH with a time of 4:57:05
Throughout my race season, I always look forward to racing in Southern Oregon because there is such a great environment that really fosters racing and the development of the next generation of riders. OBRA (Oregon Bicycle Racing Association) definitely has their “racing” act together and they always put on a very successful event. Also, this race is a amazing opportunity that allows for racers to get very necessary practice runs on the more difficult sections of the Ashland 12mile Super D which is on June 12th & 13th. This race is very significant for me and my season because I owe that race from last year (Separated Shoulder).


Great Local News Story from KDRV 12 Ashland

No comments: