Monday, September 14, 2009

Mammoth Bar DH

Last weekend, Auburn California held the 1st annual Mammoth Bar DH race. A new venue for NorCal DH racing and a $2,500 pro purse brought out a huge amount of local talent! Check out the race report by Point One Racing team athlete Jordan Lopez:

I had an amazing weekend of racing at the first annual Mammoth Bar Downhill Race in Auburn CA.
Yes, you heard right a DH Race in Northern CA, it was ground breaking and an amazing first step towards getting more races on Nor Cal soil. It was amazing to see almost a hundred fans line the bottom of the rock garden section and cheer on the racers. With the event being on a Saturday, the turn out was surperb and with with a PRO group being the largest racing category of the weekend, it is good sign that there is a true interest for Northern CA Racing.



With the venue being in a OHV Park, the course consisted of a top section that was tight wooded single track with several sharp off camber switch backs, fast "g-outs" and rough rutted sections. The bottom of the course opened up into a long rock garden that put the rider through about a minute of sketchy/rocky racing.

With this being my first race back in over 13 weeks, I was definitely a little weary of my shoulder and the re-injuring it going in to off season. I know that this thought process of self preservation is not efficient for mid-season racing, but I allowed it to temper my speeds knowing that a smooth race run would do more for my recovery (both mentally and physically) that a crash. I ended up in 16th of a 23 with a time of 2:42:20, only being a few seconds outside of the top 10. I am happy with this time and result knowing I could have definitely gone faster and exerted myself more in the rock garden and the upper section, but finishing this race cleanly is what I needed more than anything.



Thanks again to all of my sponsors and I look forward to working with several of you in the 2010 Season


Next year, Jordan will be part of a team that will compete both domestically and internationally. We wish him the best of luck!

Also, big congrats to our other racers at Mammoth Bar!

Pro Men 8th place: Graeme Pitts
Pro Men 11th place: Keith Morelan
Cat 2 Men 2nd place: Roger Lopez
Junior X 5th place: Max Houtzager

No comments: